Where do you see yourself?

Where do you see yourself in five years?
That is the question that Ryan asked me the other day in class.
My response?
I turned to him and replied with the utmost honesty: I have no idea.
It scared me a little, that I realized I really don't have any clue anymore.
If you would have asked me two months ago, even two weeks ago, I could have told you. "This and this, and I want to do this, and I'm going to have this, and I'm going to do this, and this is how it's all going to work out."
Now though? No clue. I mean, yea, sure I have my wishes, I have my plans, but where does that get me? Nowhere. Yes, I can plan it all out, but what happens if it doesn't work out that way? I don't exactly have a back up plan. I certainly don't want to be in school for the rest of my life, trying to figure it out. And realistically, I still want those things I wanted two months ago, two weeks ago, but things have changed.
So, Dear Mr. Lewis University Staff Member Who Writes Up The Scholarship Questions That Nearly Always Include The Question: What Are Your Educational, Career, And Professional Goals?
Maybe you should change that question to: What Do You Plan To Do When Your Plan Fails?

Comments

  1. You should write your essay on that anyway. Describe your hopes and dreams and aspirations and then discuss what you're going to do when all of it goes to hell.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scratch That.

Why I Hate Taxes

Have you ever been too scared to do something?