Silly Characters....

As Ann wandered around her restaurant, she was relieved to see people smiling and laughing, holding their never ending drinks in their hand. If nothing else, she figured she could always make the income by the bar.
“Ann.”
She turned at the sound of her name. Shaking hands was a necessity at her opening, but she was tiring of the same action and conversation as every prosperous person in town introduced themselves individually. When she saw who was waiting for her though her hand fell back to her side and she attempted a shaky smile. “Jason…”
“Look, Ann, I know that this is the last place you want to see me. I mean, your premiere… Wow. I always knew you said you wanted your own restaurant… And the Sapphire -”
“Red Sapphire,” she corrected him.
His cheeks reddened slightly, but he gave a small smile. “Of course. You said that that’s what you wanted to name it. Your birthstone and your favorite color… I have to admit,” he looked around, “it looks like a success.”
“Thanks.”
A short, awkward silence passed.
“This doesn’t fix anything,” she said softly.
“I know it doesn’t.”
“Throwing something out I told you years ago doesn’t mean that we’re okay.”
“I don’t think that things will go back.”
“Then what are you smiling at?” she demanded, for a slight grin had crossed his face during the last part of their conversation.
“I always thought that you were the one with the better memory.”
She blinked. “I think you’ve lost me.”
“Your restaurant is on Franklin Avenue.”
“Yes…”
“2342 Franklin Avenue.”
“I’m aware…”
He smiled. “We walked past this building, hell, we walked in this building eight years ago. You said that it would be perfect for your restaurant. It’s structure… You said that you loved the pillars that were scattered around, that they would add to the timeless feel you wanted to give your customers.”
“Well apparently I was right.”
“Yes, you were.”
He sounded like she was right about something else. Something more personal perhaps, but she couldn’t be positive these days.
“I just wanted to wish you luck, Ann,” he said as his eyes wandered the room. “I don’t think you need it though. It looks like you have a hit on your hands.”
“Thanks,” she mumbled.
He leaned in and kissed her cheek gently. “Good-bye, Ann.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Hate Taxes

Scratch That.

Bad Dreams v Nightmares