The Water

There's something calming about the water, even though I'm scared to death of drowning.

When I was younger, I use to go fishing with my dad. I haven't done that in literally years, but I can still remember the routine of it, down to the very clothing we wore. The catching of tadpoles, the heading upstream while my fingers were strung through the loops of my dad's waders. I was always afraid that the current would sweep me away and I would end up somewhere so far downstream that I would be left behind. That never happened though, much to the dismay of my father and sister, I'm sure.

These days the water carries me away in a different sense. Instead of carrying me physically away, it seems to carry away any and all insecurities I may be harboring at that time. It cleanses my mind and nothing in particular comes to mind except for the thought I wonder if I could catch tadpoles here... I feel like I get this far off look in my eye when my friends and I end up at the riverside just in town. I'm always looking upstream or watching the foam rise from the super tiny waterfall, and I can imagine myself with this look of utter.... amazement. That I could stay there for hours on end and not be bored by a second of it. Maybe that's one of my little secrets. "The power of water" or something like that. And even though I'm still afraid of drowning, I have to wonder how something that calming can be so deadly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Hate Taxes

Scratch That.

Dreams.